Friday, June 13, 2008

the "wheeeeeeeeee!!!!" factor

I have been enjoying my commute tremendously. The ability to be engaged in an activity, instead of the zombie-like slug-fest of a drive I used to have in the morning, revs up my brain and prepares me for my day.
Yesterday morning, on my commute into the office, I saw something that made me smile. As I rode up Davenport, a green BMW was driving in the opposite lane and direction. A woman was driving, and her sun roof was open. All of a sudden, this giant head pops out of the sun roof. A gorgeous great dane was enjoying his commute as well. How do you not have a grin on your face when you see that? Pure greatness.
There are some draw-backs, of course, to riding a scooter or motorcycle. One such irritation is known as "the wind". There are days when the wind is perfect and cools your body down as it zooms along the streets in the hot Texas sun. Then there are days when it feels like an ill-tempered dragon is blowing hot air at you at 100mph.
Yesterday, on my way home, I sat at a light and grumbled about the hot wind gusts that were blowing in from the south (go figure, the direction I was going!). As I waited, I surveyed my surroundings. Directly in front of my scooter was a gleaming red convertible (no idea of make/model, but it was a very new automobile). As the light turned green and the car began to glide away, these two delicate little white arms with pink jelly bracelets jut up into the air. I could see no body attached, but I assumed this was a little girl not unlike Bailee or Ellie (my nieces). Her little arms swayed with the movement of the car as if she were riding a roller coaster. For several blocks, I had perma-grin. I could almost hear her saying "wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" It was almost a magical feeling that enveloped me and defined the rest of my ride. While I was unable to throw my hands up in the air (that would be bad on a scooter), I did say "wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!!" and had a blast on the rest of my way home. Wind? What wind?

No comments: