For anyone who does any sort of event, you know you usually get a tshirt. "Been there, done that, have the tshirt", right?
Well, I had a startling realization the other day when looking for an appropriate tshirt to wear. All my race shirts are old. I haven't done an "event" worthy of a tshirt in a long time. It isn't that I love the shirt. No way. It is that I love having something tangible for finishing something challenging. And the last couple of years...I have been slacking...HARD.
Some may chalk this up to being happy and in love. That is no excuse. Part of what makes Mike and I love each other is that we are (or used to be) active, passionate about outdoor adventure, and all things associated with it. My close knit group of girlfriends, which I sadly don't see as much as I used to, were bonded specifically around this love of dirt and racing and playing outside.
The whole "where are all my race tshirts" question really made me step back and see a quantifiable result of my laziness. Maybe I do love those tshirts. Maybe I love them because of what they represent. And the lack of new ones makes me realize that I haven't been living the life that I used to...and that I still yearn for.
So, with that in mind...I have picked a few races for the year...and will start picking out events that remind me what it is like to play and have fun:
- Will be doing the Komen 5K with my company next weekend 06/12
- Signing up for (dropping my rego in the mail today, yo!) the Palo Duro 20k in Oct.
- I WILL ride my mountain bike...soon. And I will ride my cyclocross bike too...
- I will go tubing again.
- I will go to the gym (gah!) and start swimming again.
- I will go to yoga. Stretch myself out.
- I want to try kayaking again. Maybe a day trip somewhere. Anyone local wanna organize?? :)
- I want to ride in a hot air balloon.
- I am gonna force myself to go to Austin and see the bats.
- I want to start doing open water swims again...even if I don't do tris. (maybe look at masters swimming if I can get back in shape?)
So really, I guess I only have two main events laid out. But that is ok. A small one, and a big one. But I also outlined some adventures I am craving. Then I will start eyeing 2011.
Who else wants to play?