Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I am finished...done...finito!

With the final Harry Potter book, that is :)

I have to say I was happy and impressed. Such a long journey. I am partly relieved, partly saddened.

****Caution - spoilers ahead...
please don't read any further if you haven't finished the book and/or care about not knowing what happened. :)


***

***

***

***

Ok...that should give you enough room :)
1.) CJ knew it, I sensed it...but couldn't quite admit that Snape was still a good guy. The twist with him being in love with Lily was interesting and added a different view to so many of the side stories along the way. How Snape hated James Potter (not just because James was mean to him, but because he had Lily)...that was even stronger due to this new information. I knew he would die in this book...whether by Harry's hands or Voldemort's. It is sad though....what a rough and painful life.
2.) When Ron left Hermione and Harry in the forest after they found the locket Horcrux, I was sure he was a goner. I was so upset that he left...but so relieved when he came back. Again, it was one of those "Dumbledore always knows best" deals. Really quite clever. :) AND we all knew it...its about time those two snogged. And then in the final little writeup they are married with kids...I think that is greatness.
3.) Mrs. Weasley is a tough mama. Dueling with and soundly defeating Bellatrix Lestrange was quite possibly one of the highlights of the book. I can just imagine her slightly pudgy figure pushing aside the students who were fighting and taking over with vigor. I would think raising those Weasley boys would make any woman more than stout.
4.) speaking of the Weasley boys...I was heartsick when Fred fell. Excellent characters there...Fred and George.
5.) Lupin and Tonks - wow. Didn't expect both of them to go...especially after they had just had a baby...but, you couldn't help but know that child will grow and be exceptionally proud of his parents - especially with Harry, Ron, Ginny and Hermione there to tell them how fantastic they were.
6.) Harry and Ginny. You just knew they had to end up together. (and I loved the last part - 19years later - where they had Albus Severus Potter - that choked me up a bit)
7.) final battle scene with Voldemort...I love how he came out of nowhere - and with not only better wizardry, but with some mind games as well...brought Voldemort to his knees - even without using the killing curse. His famous use of disarming his opponent worked against the Dark Lord yet again...reflecting the death blow back onto the sender.
8.) I love how rowling used the Patronuses as not only safety from Dementors, but also as a means of communication. "You bloody idiot, it's a goat!"
9.) being introduced to new characters, but really tying all those stories together...I was just really happy with the whole damn book. :)
I am sure there is more I left out...but how friggin cool was that story?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You and I could have hours if not days of discussions over this book. It amazes me how JK's mind works and how detailed she got with everything. It really was an great book. I think my fav part was Mrs. Weasley's duel with Bellatrix..."Get away from my daughter you bitch!" :)