Wednesday, October 17, 2007

things I have to remember

There are the simple "to do" items: get DoubleDown's nail clippers, swiffer thingie, etc

There are also the personal goals and milestones I set for myself "remember what you are aiming for here!"

And then there are the things I have to remember that sometimes I just lose sight of. To my parents, whether I am 12 or 52, I will always be the baby. I am the youngest. While my parents are very proud of me and support my independent nature, they also hold to some belief structures that I simply don't agree with. Sometimes, my ideas and their beliefs clash. Luckily, my family has a great respect for each other and support and love definitely supercede fights and arguments. However, a tangible level of disappointment is there when I decide to follow my own compass and it doesn't match with their plan for my life. A silent sadness kind of envelopes me. It isn't so heavy that my heart pulls me toward something inconsistent with who I am, but no one wants to let their parents down...even if they know the decision made was true to who they are and where they want to go.

Even when this situation comes up, my parents are always very supportive of who I am and consistently make efforts to let me know they love me. So...it's really just a matter of handling the awkwardness for a while. Family is the most important thing to me, and I am extremely lucky and blessed to be in this one.

No comments: